I would have taken a picture, but the fam scoffed it all down!!!
Promise . . next time
What you need:
- 450g extra lean ground beef/turkey/chicken
- 450g zucchini or yellow squash (slice thin)
- 1 cup reduced fat /fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of low-sugar pasta sauce
- Diced onion
- Chopped garlic
- Spinach (as much as you like, i used 2-3 handfuls)
- Seasonings & Herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary).
- 400ml fat-free sour cream (or low fat ricotta)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg or two egg whites
- Frozen Broccoli/Cauliflower (400g, or as much as you like)
NOTE – You can use as many veggies & whatever veggies you like . . the more veggies the better. (eggplant, mushrooms, capsicum,celery)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown meat in pan. Drain.
- Cook spinach & broccoli, drain excess water, chop broccoli.
- Heat onion & garlic into a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil, and cook until brown. Mix with browned meat, sauce, and herbs/seasonings.
- In a separate bowl, mix liquid ingredients (sour cream, parm, egg or egg white, and chopped broccoli) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a pan, build a foundation of zucchini, layering them in like this: A layer of sour cream mixture, then a layer of the meat mixture, about half of each.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients: another layer of zucchini, another layer of sour cream, another layer of meat. Cover the top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or so.